a/k/a Asilomar 2009
I'm at CMC – North this weekend. CMC has cut itself back quite a bit in light of these Tough Economic Times. Nevertheless, past experience has set my expectations pretty high for this conference. My slate is particularly strong this year, also, with two sessions from Steven Leinwand (engaging presenter with an interesting approach to problem-based learning), one from Michael Serra (author of the least helpful Geometry curriculum I have ever used), and one from Allan Bellman (my teaching mentor at UC Davis). In the middle of all that I'll be presenting my own material.
If you'll be there, tweet at me (#cmcn09), drop a comment here, say hi. I'll be blogging most sessions and I'll update this post with links later.
- Thoughts On Rationalizing Algebra In Ways That Serve Kids, Not Universities, Steven Leinwand.
- What Do We Do With The Seniors?, Robert Loew.
- Don't Just Cover Geometry, Discover Geometry, Michael Serra.
- Be Less Helpful, Dan Meyer.
- Lights, Camera, Action! Fun And Success For All In Algebra, Allan Bellman.
Intriguing Lessons About How Math Is Taught And Assessed In High Performing Asian Countries, Steven Leinwand. Sick. Left the conference early.