- Why Students Hate Word Problems. Friday. 2:00PM. Terrace Ballroom 4.
I’m going to put this talk on ice after NCTM. If you caught it at either of the California conferences, I’d check out Al Cuoco’s session instead.
There will be a math teacher tweetup on Friday at 6:00PM at The Farmer’s Cabinet.
With infinite time and infinite clones I’d catch all of these sessions. The usual biases: nothing with an exclamation point in the title, no TI technology, no SMART technology, no vendors. If I missed anything (maybe even your own session) please make a case in the comments.
- Digital Math Textbooks: Promise or Reality? Amanda Thomas, Barbara Reys.
- Mathematics of Game Shows Plus. Bowen Kerins, David Hammett.
- Guidelines for Choosing and Using Technology in the Mathematics Classroom. Thomas P. Dick.
- Identifying Appropriate Use of Technology in an Algebra Classroom. Stephen F. Bismarck, Jeremy Zelkowski.
- From Grade 5 to High School: An Algebraic Investigation. Al Cuoco, Alicia Chiasson.
- Doctorates in Mathematics Education: A Shortage Continues, and Jobs Exist. Robert Reys, Robert Glasgow, Christa Jackson.
- Proof in Geometry Textbooks: Not All Opportunities Are Created Equal. Nicholas J. Gilbertson, Samuel Otten.
- The Ethics of Using Advanced Technologies in a CCSSM Environment. Zalman Usiskin.
- Technology as a Tool for Orchestrating Mathematical Discourse. Jessica Cohen, Gail Burrill, Thomas P. Dick.
- Reasoning and Sense Making in Algebra and Common Core Standards. Karen J. Graham, Al Cuoco, Gwen Zimmerman.
- Real-World Math with Mathalicious. Karim Kai Ani.
- I Tweet, Therefore I Learn. Max Singerman Ray.
- Using Technology to Increase Conceptual Understanding in Algebra and Geometry. Annie Fetter.
- Beyond Sudoku: Using Logic Puzzles to Develop Mathematical Reasoning. Breedeen Murray.
- Evidence-Based Strategies for Improving Mathematical Problem Solving in Grades 4–8. John Woodward, Mark Driscoll.
- Intriguing Lessons about Teaching and Assessing Math around the World. Steven J. Leinwand.
BTW: Ihor Charischak has culled out some promising sessions in the technology strand.