March 22nd, 2007 by Dan Meyer
- A better-than-expected investigation of the Pythagorean Theorem.
- Last day of Phobia Week!
- Lab packets.
- Fear of crowds, eating, kissing/love, rabies, words
- Discuss here a little about Pythagoras, the Pythagoreans, their code of silence, punishable by death.
- For the investigation you pass out lots of squares — 1×1, 2×2, 3×3, on up to 15×15 — and have them build triangles out of the sides. They write down the areas of the three squares and whether the triangle formed is obtuse, acute, or right. The conclusions follow pretty quickly from there.
- Translating words to symbols.
- Next year match this slide with one showing the accurately measured triangles for reference. (i.e. "Ohhh, it was acute.")
Notes & Revisions:
- See slide #10.